• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cooking time: 15 minutes
Caramel oranges is a simple dessert that only takes a few minutes to make and is a lovely winter dessert when local oranges are in season.
• 4 oranges, peeled, halved, all pith removed.
• 1 cup caster sugar
• Juice 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)
• 25g butter
• 1 cup walnuts
• ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
• mascarpone – to serve
1. Slice the oranges 1cm thick.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, place the cater sugar and orange juice. Swirl to combine. Allow to come to the boil and boil for 5 minutes or so until the mixture becomes golden. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, be careful of the mixture frothing. Add the orange segments and allow to steep.
3. In a medium frying pan over medium heat, stir the walnuts until they are starting to go pale golden and toasty. Sprinkle the icing sugar over the walnuts. Stir to thoroughly combine and remove from the heat. Spread the walnuts on a plate to cool-they will go crunchy as they cool down.
4. Serve the oranges with a dollop of mascarpone and the walnuts.
Some people prefer to sweeten the mascarpone with a little icing sugar, but I like it plain in this dessert as the oranges are very sweet.
Makes 12 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves 12 • Prep time: 20 minutes • Cooking time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Makes 6 • Prep time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves 12 • Prep time: 20 minutes • Cooking time: 35 minutes + chilling time
Serves 10-12 • Prep time: 40 minutes • Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves 4 • Prep time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves 8-12 • Prep time: 20 minutes • Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
As a teenager, I had a traumatic experience with a trifle that made me swear off them forever. Until I ran into Australian of the year and classy lady Ita…