• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cooking time: 15 minutes
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1cm thick slices
• 4 rashers bacon, rind removed, cut into 1cm strips
• 4 slices bread, cut into cubes
• 4 eggs
• 1 cos lettuce, leaves picked, washed and dried
• ½ red onion, very finely sliced
• 1 cup Caesar salad dressing (recipe below)
• ½ cup freshly shaved parmesan
• 1 tbs white wine vinegar
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 tbs Dijon mustard
• 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
• 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 cup light olive oil
• lemon juice, to taste
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. Fill your kettle with water and bring to the boil.
2. Heat a fry pan or BBQ flat plate over medium high heat. Heat 1 teaspoon oil and cook the chicken pieces for 2 minutes each side, or until cooked but still tender. Set aside under foil.
3. On the same pan, fry the bacon until golden and starting to crisp up. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving behind the fat that has rendered out of the meat. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and fry the bread cubes until golden and crisp. Remove from the frypan and set aside.
4. Wipe out the pan with paper towel and fill it to about 4cm deep from the kettle. Allow the water to come to a very gentle simmer. Crack eggs one at a time and gently slide into the simmering water. Fresh eggs are important for this process, so that the egg whites stay together with the yolk.
5. When the white is firm and the yolk still runny, very carefully remove each egg from the water, rest the spoon on paper towel for a moment and place on a plate.
6. To assemble the salads, toss the lettuce leaves and red onion with the dressing and divide between four large bowls or plates. Top with the grilled chicken and bacon. Gently sit the poached egg on top, then scatter with the croutons. Finish off with a generous shaving of parmesan.