• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cooking time: 2 hours 20 minutes
When Mum was a child, lamb was the cheapest meat you could buy, and chicken was a treat reserved for Christmas day. Crumbed lamb cutlets was one of my favourite meals as a child. Cutlets are among the more expensive cuts now, so they’re a bit of a treat!
• 12 lamb cutlets (1 kg)
• 1 cup plain flour
• salt and pepper
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 medium sized celeriac bulb, peeled and grated or processed into small pieces
• 1 cup milk
• 50g butter
1. With a meat mallet, gently hammer the lamb cutlets until they are just less than 1cm thick.
2. Combine the flour with salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Beat the eggs with ¼ cup water in another shallow dish. Place crumbs in a third shallow dish.
3. Set up the cutlets to the left of the other three dishes, it’s about to be a production line. Dip the cutlet into the flour, then bathe in the egg mix, and toss generously in the breadcrumbs. Place onto a clean plate.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy based chef pan.
5. Cook 6 cutlets for 4 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked to medium.
6. Clean out the pan, add the remaining olive oil and cook the rest of the cutlets.
7. Rest the cutlets for 5 minutes or so before serving on the plate. But no longer!
1. Into a medium saucepan over medium heat, place the celeriac and add enough milk to cover.
2. Simmer for around 10 minutes or until tender enough to squash between your fingers.
3. Add half the butter and a pinch of salt and puree to a smooth consistency.
4. Taste and add more salt if required.
Keep warm. Serve with lemon and greens of your choice.
Makes 4 pies • Prep time: 15 minutes • Cooking time: 6-8 hours
Serves 4 • Prep time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 4 • Prep time: 20 minutes • Cooking time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Serves 4 • Prep time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 2 hours
I was asked to come into the Today show this morning, even though I am normally on Tuesdays, because a very special guest was going to be on the show….